Buffalo New York
Listed on theNational Register of Historic Places
Formed in 1859, Concordia Cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in Western New York. The land, which was orginally part of lot 51 on the Holland Land survey, was sold in 1859 to three German Evangelical churches to be used as a shared burial ground. The cemetery is the final resting place for thousands of early residents of Buffalo, including over 450 war veterans of which 125 are Civil War veterans. Currently there are over 16,800 people of all ethnic backgrounds and religions buried on its 15 acres. The cemetery hosts many red Medina sandstone monuments, other unusual stones and many tombstones containing epitaphs, poetry and biblical passages in German or displaying biographical information such as the interred's place of birth in Germany. The carvings on the tombstones reflect the Victorian perception of death as a peaceful sleep instead of earlier views of death as something fearful (as seen by the use of skull and crossbones which were common in the 18th century). These monuments feature carvings of flowers, religious symbols, and lambs. Today, Concordia is managed by volunteers and is a non-profit organization whose historical significance has been recognized by its inclusion on both the New York State Register of Historic Places and the National Register of Historic Places. It is our goal to preserve and restore this landmark in honor of those ancestors who have built Western New York into the thriving area it is today and who now rest here.
To find a grave:Click here
To contact us:
438 Walden Avenue, Buffalo NY 14211
Mail:PO Box 1773 Buffalo, NY 14226